- 600g cubed stewing beef ( 3/4 inch cubes)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped fine or pressed
- 1 1/2 cup onion, diced (1 large)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed (not celery salt)
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 2 tablespoons Hungarian paprika
- 3 cups frozen and chopped “spaghetti mix” vegetables
- 4 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup bulgur
- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1/4 cup parsley, freshly chopped
- 1. Dry beef cubes gently with paper towel.
2. Heat a heavy 4 quart soup pot on high, add oil and then the beef, browning well on all sides, about 5 minutes.
3. Add onion and garlic and continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
4. Add the herbs, spices and veggie mix, then the broth and water and bring to a boil.
5. Add the bulgur and the barley reducing the temperature to minimum and cover with a well fitting lid. Cook for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes (until beef is tender ).
6. If using a slow cooker, transfer the beef after step 3. Add all ingredients and put the setting on low, cover, and cook for 4 hours.
7. For the perfect finish add 1/4 cup freshly chopped parsley at the end of cooking time.