AAKP is celebrating National Dialysis Technician Recognition Week October 14 – 19, 2019. Let’s learn more about the types of dialysis technicians, how they are educated to better help you throughout your care and how you can celebrate this week with YOUR special dialysis technician.Read More
By Melissa Bensouda, AAKP Ambassador Photo: Representing Missouri at RPA Advocacy Day on Capitol Hill – Dr. Gary Singer, MD; Melissa Bensouda, AAKP Ambassador MO; Kinza Bensouda (daughter) At one point in my childhood I had dreamed of becoming a nurse. That dream quickly changed when I learned about the “behind the scenes” things nurses did to care for sick patients – my stomach wasn’t cut out for it. I would have never imagined that my desire to help sick patients would now be best used to save my own life with home dialysis.Read More
Third Kidney Inc. is focused on utilizing the human body’s skin sweat glands for purposeful, measurable, replicable renal function. The low-risk, sauna-based procedure Third Kidney has developed is built upon a large body of prior medical work, as well as numerous holistic cross-cultural health practices from around the world. Third Kidney has completed animal testing and is now certified to begin human testing. If successful, this sweat-based therapy will greatly improve renal replacement therapy and the lives of chronic kidney disease patients.
Written By: Nancy K. Uhland, DNP, FNP-C Kidneys are an important organ and perform several functions in order to keep our bodies healthy. Food is an important substance we consume in order to provide our bodies with the fuel and energy it needs to maintain life. But, just how are our food choices related to the well-being of our kidneys? One of the functions of the kidneys is to remove waste materials from the food we eat. By doing this, the kidneys help regulate important nutrients such as sodium, potassium, protein, acid content, and various vitamins.
Written by Priscila Kilgour In 2018, I reached two milestones in my life: I celebrated my 80th birthday and the 26th anniversary of my kidney transplant. I am a registered nurse who worked most of my professional life in the operating room. I retired in 1998 to spend my time doing what my husband Bill and I enjoyed best: traveling, going to the theater, attending concerts and especially attending live performances of my favorite musical experience, the opera. In 1966 I received a diagnosis of subacute glomerulonephritis from Dr.
Beth Chalick-Kaplan, PhD is an Outreach Specialist for Region 3 at CMS Managing your health while living with Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD) can be overwhelming. Taking multiple medications, following a special diet, and keeping appointments with different specialists while caring for your family and/or working can be difficult. Healthcare providers can also feel challenged in caring for patients with multiple chronic conditions.
My story starts in early spring 1998 in Baltimore, Maryland to be exact, my hometown. My career was soaring as a recent graduate and police officer for the state of Maryland. My personal life was also fruitful as I was dating my lovely wife, Lauren. I knew I was winning at life and I could only see good getting better. During my early career, as a rookie officer, I was required to work extended hours. I experienced swelling in my hands, legs and feet. I was not alarmed though, thinking back to my years of playing high school sports.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: September 27, 2016 CENTERS FOR DISEASE CONTROL AND PREVENTION (CDC) AND THE AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF KIDNEY PATIENTS (AAKP)
For many adults, having to be dependent on someone else is not easy. People living with a chronic illness often experience a decline in health as the illness progresses. This decline may require more assistance from others for even the most basic tasks, such as bathing and toileting. A growing loss of independence can be upsetting not only for the individual but also for those who are trying to help. It is easy to imagine such an experience would be stressful and degrading.
There are more than 26 million Americans who suffer from chronic kidney disease (CKD), 350,000 need dialysis. Of those, 93 percent received hemodialysis (HD) at the end of 2007, and the remaining 7 percent were treated with peritoneal dialysis (PD) at home. In addition, there were about 3,000 patients using home hemodialysis (HHD) – that’s less than one percent of the patient population in the US.(1) There are a few HHD machines available. The majority of the HHD patients use the NxStage System One, a portable home dialysis machine.