Dialysis-Friendly Recipe: Versatile Stir Fry
- 1 lb of beef, cut into strips
- 1 cup yellow or green zucchini, sliced and halved
- 1 cup frozen baby peas
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped ginger
- 1 teaspoon (½ of a small) seeded fresh hot pepper, chopped fine (or ½ teaspoon dried pepper flakes)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 3/4 cup green onions, slivered
- 1 tablespoon low salt soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Mirin (Japanese sweet cooking seasoning)
- 150 grams rice vermicelli (uncooked)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- Put 2 quarts water to boil.
- Cut and prepare vegetables and meat, being careful to cut vegetables before raw meat if using the same cutting board.
- In a deep pan or flat bottom wok, warm half the oils until hot and add meat, garlic, ginger and hot peppers (optional), searing quickly on all sides.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm nearby. Add the remaining oil to the pan, heat and add zucchini, peas and green onions and cook for 3 minutes, tossing or stirring frequently.
- Return meat and spice mixture to pan and add soy sauce and mirin, cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook noodles in boiling water according to directions. Toss meat and vegetables with noodles and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately. (This is also a nice topping for basmati rice).