- • 4 apples or 3½ cups (of peeled medium diced Granny Smith, Washington Gala, and Honey Crisp apples mixed)
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter, firm
- 1/4 cup melted unsalted butter (for buttering phyllo pastry sheet)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. corn starch
- 1/ package (6 sheet) phyllo dough
- Combine in a small bowl:
- 3 tbsp. powered sugar
- 2 tbsp. cinnamon
Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
Prepare apple mixture:
In large sauté pan on medium high heat, sauté apples in butter for 6-8 minutes. Stir in cinnamon, nutmeg, and brown sugar, and cook for an additional 3-4 minutes. In a small cup, mix cornstarch and vanilla extract until dissolved, stir into apple mixture and cook for additional two minutes on medium high heat. Turn off heat and set aside.
Prepare phyllo dough bundles:
- Lightly grease a large six muffin tin pan.
- Starting with the first sheet of phyllo dough, brush each side with melted butter then dust with the powdered sugar and cinnamon mix. Continue until all 6 sheets have been buttered and dusted with sugar and cinnamon mix, stacking one sheet on top of the other as you go.
- Cut each stack into 6 squares. Line the bottom and sides of each muffin cup using one stack of squares. Leave an over-hang.
- Fill each phyllo lined muffin cup ½ – ¾ full with the apple mixture (this will depend on how big the apples are cut), making sure each phyllo lined muffin cup has equal amounts of apple mixture.
- Fold excess phyllo dough over the apples in each muffin cup and pinch top closed to create the bundles.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Garnish with powdered sugar, whipped cream and sprig of fresh mint.
For those with diabetes, ¼ cup Agave Nectar can be substituted for light brown sugar as a sweetener.
Note: These are a few types of year round apples that are available are in most supermarkets and fruit stands across the country. Select one sour and two sweet apple varieties for your recipe:
- Golden Delicious
- Red Delicious
- Granny Smith
- Powdered Sugar
- Fresh mint
- Whipped cream or Low fat whipped topping
This recipe is courtesy of Chef Aaron McCargo Jr., star of Big Daddy’s House on the Food Network.