[vc_row][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_btn title=”TAKE ACTION” color=”green” size=”lg” align=”center” link=”url:https%3A%2F%2Faakp.org%2Faction-center%2F||target:%20_blank|”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]
The American Association of Kidney Patients (AAKP), the largest independent kidney patient organization in the U.S., believes The Dialysis PATIENTS Demonstration Act (H.R. 4143 / S. 2065) severely restricts patient freedom of choice. CLICK HERE to take action on this important issue.
Based on a detailed analysis with our patient and professional allies, we believe this legislation is contrary to the best interests of patients. Instead, it protects the status quo in kidney care at the cost of patient freedom and meaningful innovation.
AAKP opposes The Dialysis PATIENTS Demonstration Act because it restricts patient choice. This legislation will:
- Interfere with the unique relationship between a patient and their physician in the joint decision-making process to determine their best care options.
- Automatically force and “opt-in” kidney patients to a “demonstration program” that favors the largest, status quo dialysis providers – with no patient consent.
- Require patients to figure out how to “opt-out” of the “demonstration program” if they feel they are not being told enough about better care options like transplantation or home dialysis.
- Limit patients to only 75 days to figure out how to “opt-out”!
- Create financial disincentives for transplants and exclude patients if they are transplanted.
- Threaten access to high quality care provided by non-profit and small dialysis providers, putting them at risk.
AAKP is joined in our opposition to the Dialysis PATIENTS Demonstration Act by numerous groups and has sent several joint letters to the Congress to ensure YOUR representatives are fully-informed about the threats this bill poses to kidney patients:
- American Society of Nephrology
- American Society of Transplant Surgeons
- American Society of Transplantation
- Association of Organ Procurement Organizations
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc.
- Nonprofit Kidney Care Alliance
- Northwest Kidney Centers
- The Rogosin Institute
- Washington State Medical Association
Add your voice to the tens of thousands of other patients and professionals who feel this legislation is bad for patients. CLICK HERE for a draft letter that you can personalize and send to your Members of Congress. Let Congress know about your concerns!
Paul T. Conway
American Association of Kidney Patients[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column][vc_single_image image=”7836″ img_size=”large”][/vc_column][/vc_row]