- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 1 cup red or yellow bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry paste
- 1 can (14oz) peaches with their juice, diced
- 3/4 cup peach or plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (1 lime)
- Freshly chopped coriander for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy skillet.
- Pepper the chicken drumsticks and brown them on all slides.
- Meanwhile prepare the peppers, onion, garlic and ginger.
- Remove the chicken, leaving oil in the pan.
- Reduce the temperature to medium-low, add curry paste, garlic and ginger directly to the pan. Add the peppers and onion and coat well.
- Return chicken to pan, add peaches with their juice and increase heat to bring everything to a simmer.
- Cover and cook in the oven for 40 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove from oven and place on the stove over low heat. Add yogurt, coconut milk and lime juice. Stir gently till heated through. Do not boil.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and serve over white rice.
This recipe is courtesy of Spice It Up! Giving Zest to Your Renal Diet. For more renal friendly recipes, visitwww.myspiceitup.ca/en/home.htm.
This article originally appeared in the January 2011 issue of At Home with AAKP.